Saturday, June 3, 2017

Surviving the Gauntlet

I didn't sleep particularly well last night and woke up early this morning, determined to get a cup of coffee somewhere at 6 a.m.  Sadly, I discovered that 8th & Roast doesn't open until 7 a.m. on Saturdays, like all of the other coffee shops.  I made the best of a quiet, peaceful interlude by setting up shop across at a table from Bongo Java for 45 minutes and reading Frank Deford's iconic 1978 Sports Illustrated profile on Jimmy Connors.

I'm feeling a bit relaxed this morning, like I finally have my life back.  April and May at work were unbelievably busy months.  In terms of billing time, it appears that May was the busiest month of my career.  Coupled with my mom's failing health and coaching 3 baseball teams, I haven't had time to come for air.  This morning, I'm taking a few minutes for myself before I head back to the house to greet my family, along with J.P.'s friend, J.D., who slept over last night.

One of the things that has kept me going the last two months is knowing that if I could just get through a 2-day trial I had on June 1 - 2, Bonnaroo would be around the corner, June 8 - 11.  Every time I got down or stressed about work or my mom, I reminded myself that if I could just make it to June 3 (today), I had 4 days of music, friends and good times to look forward to.

And, so, I made it.  I survived the gauntlet.

Through nothing but divine providence and good luck, I was able to arrange for my friends and I to stay in a cabin at Sewanee for free.  That in and of itself is something for me to, because I love spending time at Monteagle and Sewanee.  I'll be able to run it he mornings on the trails, maybe do a little hiking and grab coffee at a coffee shop I know on campus at the University of the South.  I'll do some reading and listen to a whole lot of live music.  For me, it doesn't get much better.

But for now, it's off to start the weekend in earnest.

No comments: