Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Visiting Mom

I had a nice, peaceful midday visit with my mom yesterday.  She's always so happy to see me, which makes me smile.

We talked and she watched The Bold and the Beautiful, one of the few remaining soap operas on television.  It's funny and a little bit sad to watch television with her, because she gets confused easily and seems to believe the actors on shows or commercials are real people.  "Who is that?" she routinely asks, nodding when I tell her it's an actor and not someone I know.  She does the same thing when we watch the local news.

Over the years, we always kidded her about watching The Young and the Restless.  I never understood how someone with her intellect and education could enjoy regularly watching a soap opera.  Her mother (my grandmother, Mary Alice Ussery) and aunt (Aunt Sara) were the same way, though, and I think they used to enjoy comparing notes about what happened on the show on a particular day.  To each his (or her) own, I guess.

She napped a little yesterday and, truthfully, I did, too.  It was nice.  I stayed for a little under two hours, then stepped back into my busy world of lawyers, judges, children and youth sports.

No comments: