Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Settling In (Again)

A quick one over coffee 6:15 a.m. coffee at 8th & Roast before Jude, the boys and I catch a flight to Tampa this morning, then drive over to Sarasota to stay with my longtime friend, Mike Corley, and his wife, Stacy. 


We got my mom moved yesterday at NHC Place, from Aspen Arbor to the Courtyard.  Tracy and Alice did the heavy lifting, although I reviewed and signed the contract after seeing my mom briefly in the morning.  Tracy handled the pre-admission paperwork, which was necessary because the Courtyard is, for all intents and purposes, a part of long-term care at NHC Place.  As I've said previously, it's more hospital-like.


One of the benefits of the move is that my mom will have a hospital bed in her room.  Whether she will sleep in it is another story.  Hopefully, she will, and the pressure ulcer on her butt will start to heal with treatment because she won't be sitting so much.


Tracy stayed with her last night.  At bedtime, she sent Alice and me a photo of my mom tucked into  her bed.  Comfortably?  Maybe not, in her bed nonetheless.  One day - or night - at a time, I guess.


The move went well and my mom seemed to adjust okay, at least so far.  The staff at the Courtyard appear to be excellent.  If that continues, it will be a big relief.  One thing I've learned during this process is how much I rely on a staff member or two who really seems to care and take an interest in my mom.  I think I latch on to one or two of those types of people to keep me in the loop and to make me feel a little better about her circumstances.


Tracy and Alice did a great job getting her room set up.  They've been spot on with that since she moved into Maristone in November 2016, Aspen Arbor in October 2017 and, now, the Courtyard. 


It's funny and a little sad, but I rarely have any telephone or in-person conversations with Tracy or Alice that don't involve my mom.  Typically, it's who is stopping by to see he and when, how she was doing when one of saw her, what a nurse or caregiver told us, etc.  I miss being able talk about other things with them. 


Alzheimer's seems to bring us, as a family, closer together in some ways, but also drives us farther apart.  We have so few normal moments we can enjoy together, where the specter of the disease is not hanging over our heads or on our minds. 


That being said, we work together as a team.  It's comforting for me to know I can count on Tracy and Alice.  It just is.


Now, back to the house to finishing packing for sunny (hopefully) Florida.  It's 35 degrees outside!    

No comments: