Saturday, November 24, 2018

Grandparents' Day and a Twinge of Jealousy

Yesterday, I had coffee with a high school classmate of mine, Joe Imorde.  Joe is a great guy who grew up in my neighborhood.  He joined the army after college at Western Kentucky and served 20 years before ending up with his family in Virginia.  I rarely see him, so spending an hour together was a treat.

I've known Joe's family for years.  His sister married my law partner, Mark.  Joe's parents are the best and I was happy to hear they're doing well.  His dad plays golf almost every day and his mom stays busy, too.  I also felt a twinge of jealously as I thought of my mom's plight, confined to a wheelchair in a small wing of NHC Place as the world continues to shrink around her.  Why her?

I try to avoid those type of thoughts, emotions and existential questions.  They're unanswerable and to ponder them too long is like staring at the sun for more than a split second.  Too long contemplating the injustice of my mom's fate sends me into an emotional tailspin.  So, I compartmentalize and move forward.  Always moving forward.

Grandparents' Day for the boys was Tuesday at University School.  Jude and I attended the dress rehearsal on Monday.  It was bittersweet, of course, because I knew my mom wouldn't be able to attend.  Still, it was the one and only Grandparents' Day that the boys would participate in together, since J.P. will move on to middle school (gulp) next year.  Needless to say, watching them sign and dance, together, was special.  I was too busy taking photos to cry when all siblings danced together at the end of the performance.  I can't say the same for Jude, who ended up passing some of her Kleenex to other moms.


Notice the focus and concentration.  Singing and dancing is my either of my boys' favorite things.


J.P., thinking, is it over yet?


The turkey costume is killer.  We still have J.P.'s.


J.P., dancing with Mom.


J.P. and me before the performance.  He was an usher.


Ushering.


Joe and Myles, his book buddy.  Joe's almost as big as Myles.


J.P. and Mom.


Do they look like they were glad it was over?  


Ms. Hagan taught J.P. in kindergarten.  This year, she's teaching Joe.


Tears.  Nothing but tears during the sibling dance.


Joe, dancing, sort of.

No comments: