Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Photographs and Memories

 Yesterday, I spent a few hours at my mom's house sorting through old photos, letters, cards, and mementos.  I even ventured into the attic - which is a disaster - as I near the end of my quest to salvage anything I want to keep.

I've said it before but it bears repeating - it's sad and in some ways heartbreaking that a person spends a lifetime accumulating so many things that are so special and personal to him or her - priceless, really - then he or she dies and so much of it ends up in a landfill somewhere.  

For example, my mom's shadowbox is laying in the floor in her guest room.  It's filled with knick-knacks - my name tag from my first job, at Walmart; Shakey's (my mom's first poodle) leash; a nurse's pin; a Vanderbilt basketball button; and on an on.  The shadowbox was on the wall in the den for years.  Every single item in it meant something to my mom.  

A singular event.  An accomplishment of one of her children.  A token of a friendship.  A loving reminder of a pet.  A graduation.  A gathering of friends.  An election.  Her unwavering loyalty to Vanderbilt basketball.  Her love, above all else, for her family.  Her faith.

It's all there.  Not just in the shadowbox, of course, but in the dwindling boxes of old photos, framed pictures, Christmas decorations, and keepsakes.  

Photographs and memories.  

I know it's time to let go of so many of this things because that's what they are - things.  Inanimate objects brought to life and made special by my mom's personality and what was important to her.  But it's hard.  Really, really hard. 

I am haunted by the fear of not looking in a box, a trunk, or an envelope, and losing forever a memory that meant something to my mom.   When I get down to it, I guess I am afraid of losing part of her.  Forever.  

My mom's very essence is in all of those old photographs, many of which I had never seen or did not recall seeing.  Photos of my mom and my dad, many with Tracy and me.  My parents were so young in those photos.  Photos of the two of them starting a life together full of promise and, yet, one sure to be cruelly cut short by my dad's death from hepatitis at age 30. 

I ran across a photo of my mom and dad on the day of their marriage, taken at her parents' house - Robert and Mary Alice Ussery - in Jackson, Tennessee.  A Jewish medical student, football player, and concert-level pianist from California, by way of Phoenix, Arizona and Cleveland, Ohio, marrying a modest Methodist, country girl from Jackson, Tennessee, the daughter of a man who drove a Wonder Bread truck for 30 years and of a woman who taught elementary school for 42 years.  

They looked so happy together.

It is a strange feeling, almost voyeuristic, to be going through boxes of things my mom saved.  Things that meant something to her.  Mementos from the Ussery family and the Dickson family, all of which will be lost forever if and when we discard so much of what she saved.  Our past.  Our family history.  Lost to the winds of time.

We are near the end of this process, I think.  This sifting through the things that meant the most to my mom but probably has the least actual value.  Somehow, those things are the most special to me.  I feel closer to my mom as I handle them, as I look intently at an old, black and white photograph, that no one has gazed upon in decades.  

I am, of course, reminded of how much I loved my mom and how much she loved me.  

I am also reminded, starkly, of how much I miss her.  Every single day.  

It is like an ache in my heart that never completely goes away.  I work, I coach baseball, I run, I raise children, I read, I eat, I sleep, I laugh, and I love.  In other words, I live my life.  

It is what I must do and what I am called to do.  And it is what my mom would want me to do.  

    

No comments: