Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Day the Diamondbacks Became the Dodgers

This morning, just for a couple of hours, the Diamondbacks became the Dodgers.   

Because of Covid-19, I decided not to coach the Junior Dodgers last spring and this fall, too.  Joe's been blessed to be able to play for the Diamondbacks (aka as the Thundersharks, in fall baseball, anyway) and my friend, Oliver Davis.  I've been blessed to help Coach O, as I call him, at practices and by coaching third base during games.

A word or two about Coach O.  Having coached baseball for so many years and having been around so many baseball coached during that time, I know a good coach when I see one.  I think Coach O is one of the best - probably the best, actually - that I've seen.  Always a positive message and always upbeat.  Enthusiastic.  Organized.  Role model.  Leader.  Great communicator.  Even tempered.  Great sense of perspective.  Works the boys but always with a goal in mind.  Loves the boys, not just his son, Preston, but all of the boys.  Loves baseball.  Just a real treat to be around.  

It's funny but I've thought many times that Oliver would have fit in perfectly with my coaching staff on the Dodgers.  And that's saying something because my coaches are the best.

In truth, it's been nice to be able to work with the boys at practice and help Oliver as an assistant coach but not have all of the responsibilities of being the head coach.  No drafting and sending e-mails, no planning practicing, no setting lineups and batting orders, etc.  All of those things I have done for years with the Dodgers (and Junior Dodgers).  I must admit, it's nice to have someone else doing them for the Diamondbacks. 

This morning - Saturday - Coach O and Preston couldn't be at practice, so he asked if Ryan and I could run practice.  It's Labor Day Weekend and we weren't sure how many boys would be at practice.  I knew which ones would be there - the ones who love to play baseball.  And they were there, all nine of them.  Joe, Huck, Henry, Henry, John, Parkes, Westin, Luke (my new favorite), and Matthew.     

And, for me, it was like being on the field at Harpeth Hills with the Dodgers of old, four or five years ago. Benton, Wes, Brennan, J.P., Jonathan, Cyrus, Davis, Aidan, Cooper, and Braden.  Several of those boys I still coach on the Dodgers.  They're voices are starting cracking this summer or dropped several octaves below mine - see Braden and Porter - and they're playing on the Prep filed at Warner park.  Big league dimensions, with bases 90' feet apart and the pitching rubber 60'6" from home plate.  

Well, this morning, the Diamondbacks were the Dodgers from so long ago.  And, yes, I was me, four or five years ago.

Ryan was happy to let me take the wheel today, so to speak, and I led practice from beginning to end.  Coach O had asked that we have the boys take batting practice, live, against the pitching machine, which we did.  And also that we have the boys hit in game situations, which we also did.  

I don't know all of the dads who are helping coach by name but they're all good guys.  I think they recognize that I've done this before, though, so they defer to me a little bit.  Not because I'm any kind of expert - not at all - but because I've been there before and I'm not afraid to take charge.  Imagine me, taking charge.  

We had one dad working with one boy at a time, hitting off a tee in deep left field.  Another dad hit fungoes to the infield in between pitches.  Another dad worked one boy at a time with hitting stick.  Ryan ran the pitching machine and I coached whomever was hitting, working on stances, feet placement, swing, etc. 

I love the individual work with the boys.  The one-on-one stuff.  Throwing to them in the cage, playing catch with them, or working with them while they're hitting.  That's how I get to know them, to connect with them, to build the player-coach relationship with them.  That how I show them I care about them as boys, not just baseball players.  I give them nicknames - Luke became "the Punisher" today.  I make them laugh.  Most importantly, I let them know I believe in them.  I tell them - like I told Matthew, today - that their potential is unlimited if they'll keep working.  

It's what I love the most about coaching.  No doubt.

After everyone had hit today, I organized a game of the Dads against the 'Nads.  The boys batted in a game situation (5 pitches) and the dads played the infield.  That's how the boys bond with each other.  It's also how the dad bond with each other and begin to form friendships that, if all goes right, will last for years to come.  

After practice was over, I looked out on the field and four or five of the boys, on their own, had stayed afterwards to get in more work, throwing and fielding ground balls.  All of them working with their dads or big brothers.  

And I smiled to myself, as Joe gave me an impromptu hug afterwards.  Great practice.  The boys worked, learned, and most importantly, had fun.  

The Diamondbacks became the Dodgers, even if was just for a couple of hours on a random late summer Saturday morning.

And I loved every single minute of it. 

No comments: