Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Hey Nineteen

Yesterday, Jude and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary.  We dated for almost five years before we got married so, all told, we've been together almost 25 years.  

My plan had been to cook dinner last night for Jude and the boys, as I had blocked my calendar when I originally intended to stay in Sewanee and extra night.  As is often the case, however, life happened and I as busy the entire day working from home and Jude had to work late to get ready for an important meeting in her office today.  Because I was at home, though, I was able to pick up a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake for dessert.  I picked up the boys from school, too, while participating in an hour long conference call with a client.  Yep, the joys of remote work.

So, we did what we too often do or dinner.  Takeout for Jude and the boys from 12South taproom.  I had a glass of a nice Cabernet and a salad I made at home.  The important thing, though, is we had dinner together, and watched "Next Level Chef," a Chef Gordon Ramsay show that against all reason has captured our attention as of late.  

Jude and I are at a stage in our lives, professionally, where we're incredibly busy.  We're in our professional primes, so to speak.  And, because we had children relatively late in life, we're in our personal primes, too.  For the most part, it's go, go, go.  Running the boys to and from school.  Running the boys to and from practices and games.  Predators' games.  Belmont basketball games.  This weekend, Vanderbilt baseball games.  

The last year hasn't been a particularly easy one.  Jude handled some health issues with her usual stoicism and resolve.  In my view, she is under a tremendous amount of pressure at work, in large part because she cares so much about the work.  Her work ethic is top level.  I know that because I see it every day.  For my money, she's often an island of reasonableness and professionalism in an ocean of incompetence, but that's state government.

We're blessed to have had each other all of these years.  We're blessed to have been together all of these years.  We're blessed to have been on this journey, together, for a quarter of a century.  And most of all, we're beyond blessed to be parents to J.P. and Joe, to work together to raise them up to be the kind of young men we want them to be.

Happy 19, Jude.  I love you.



No comments: