Saturday, February 19, 2022

Home Again on the Mountain

President's Day Weekend is her and, thankfully, the boys were out of school on Friday and again on Monday.  For our family, the time off make for a perfect trip to the Mountain.

The house in which we're staying is a recent addition to the rental catalogue.  I think we're the second family to stay in it.  It's fine but lacking in certain areas.  It's like the owner rushed it onto the rental market without having completely finished it.  First world problem, I know, but having heat that works upstairs where the bedrooms are located is kind of important when the temperature drops into the mid-20's at night.  Still and all, it's fine.  Nice bluff views and less than 10 minutes to campus.

J.P. and Joe are excited because for the first time in our many trips to the Mountain, Sewanee's baseball team is playing a home series while we're here.  In fact, there's a double header today, starting at 11 a.m., that we're going to attend.  J.P. wants to get to the game early to so he can watch the players' pre-game routine.  That's J.P. - always working, always thinking about how to get better.  

After a lot of rain Thursday night, today and tomorrow (Sunday) are going to be beautiful, albeit a little o the cool side.  Perfect weather for a couple of trail runs.  I'm hoping to get 6 - 8 miles in per run today and tomorrow.  With luck, I'll have J.P. along for one of the trail runs.  

My guess is that Jude will walk Abbo's Alley while J.P, Joe and I watch the baseball games today.  We had dinner from Papa Ron's in Monteagle last night, always one of our favorites when we're up here.  I'm finishing my coffee at Stirling's on campus.  Tomorrow, for breakfast, we'll hit the Blue Chair.  Dinner tonight?  Maybe Shenanigan's, where we'll play hearts at one of the picnic tables inside while we wait.  

I've got some work to do, hopefully.  I have the house until Tuesday, actually, so I may stay Monday night because I cleared by calendar at work on Tuesday.  

I'm grateful to be back here again, on what I've come to think of as "our Mountain."  Monteagle Mountain.  A time to recharge my batteries.  A time to disconnect from the office after a tumultuous two weeks due to personnel changes, present and future.  A time to reflect and be thankful for family, health, and life itself.

No comments: