Sunday, March 27, 2022

A Perfect Sunday

If I could live one Sunday for eternity, over and over again, it might be today.  

I got up early, as I normally do on Sundays, and went to Portland Brew for coffee and scrambled eggs.  A few quiet minutes while I read the online edition of the Sunday New York Times.  Portland Brew is my place, much like Bongo Java used to be, a lifetime ago.  

I picked up Ladybird Taco on 10th Avenue, near our old house, for Jude and the boys on my way home.  Breakfast  burritos and early morning chips and queso.  Jude took JP to his confirmation class, while Joe and I hung out together at the house.  

When JP got home from church, he joined me for a five mile run.  Fairfax to Elmington Park and back home by way of Belcourt Avenue and Dragon Park.  It was a beautiful spring day for a run.  It's always special to run with JP and today was no different.  We ran an easy five miles at an 8:15/mile pace, 15 seconds per mile slower than we normally run.

Afterwards, I grabbed a quick lunch at home, then drove Joe to soccer practice at MBA.  There had been some confusion about soccer, as I missed a couple of e-mails and didn't get him signed up in time.  Fortunately, his coach worked it out and Joe will be able to play soccer this spring.  

While Joe practiced soccer, Oliver Davis rode with me to Headquarters Coffee.  There, we got coffee and made plans for the baseball team we coach together and on which our sons, Joe and Preston, play.  Then, back to soccer practice and a race across town to baseball practice at Harpeth Hills Church of Christ.

Our group of boys are fabulous, so it's always fun to coach them.  I worked with four or five of them on throwing and catching, while the other boys worked with Oliver on base running and catching pop flies.  Too soon, practice ended, and Joe and I raced home.

Jude, JP, Joe, and I went to the Predators - Flyers game at Bridgestone Arena and saw a scintillating 5 - 4 Predators' victory before a packed house for a 5 p.m. start.  It had been two plus years since I had seen a hockey game at Bridgestone because or the pandemic.  Damn, it was nice to be back.

And that, my friends, was a wrap.  A perfect Sunday.


No comments: