Sunday, June 12, 2022

Running with the Kid

Yesterday at Warner Park, Joe had two baseball games, playing for the Braves, in another tuneup tournament.  JP's games at White House Saturday night were canceled, so I called an old friend from the Dodgers' days - Tom Hayden - and asked if he needed a player and he did.  So, JP played a doubleheader at Warner Park (field #5) with the Phillies.  

I helped Tom coach game 2 of a pair of wins and I got see JP pitch, which was nice, because he hasn't pitched in a while.  Two scoreless innings.  On field #2, Joe's Braves won 11-2 and he pitched two scoreless innings, as well.  

My boys, pitching at the same time on different fields at Warner Park.  That was a first.  We're a baseball family, first, last, and always.

Joe's team got beat badly in game #2 Saturday afternoon (17-10).  It was time for a lost, I think, having won 5 in a row.  They rallied in their last at bat, scoring six runs.  Hopefully, that carried over to their game at 10:45 a.m. today.  

When I got home after Joe's second game, I decided to go for a late afternoon run.  JP wanted to join me, which was nice, since he will be gone for the next week.  He's off to Baltimore, Northern Virginia, and Washington DC with 11 classmates at MBA on a Wilson Grant trip.  He applied for a Wilson Grant during the school year - including writing an essay - was fortunate enough to be selected and, right now, he's a on a plane headed north.

We ran four miles, fast as usual.  I always tell him we're not running fast.  He's always smiles and says okay.  And, of course, we always run fast, at least for me.  We ran a new route - not one of our usual ones - up Blakemore and through Vanderbilt, then home.  

I knew we were running a quick pace but my thought was at the end, when he kicked the last half mile or so, I would surprise him and run with him, maybe even beat him.  In other words, that was my plan.  That's not quite how it worked out, of course.

It's like they used to say about fighting Mike Tyson.  "Everyone has a plan against Mike Tyson until he punches you in the face."

For the fourth mile of the run, we ran a couple of laps around the green space at Belmont U, then started down through campus to Belmont Blvd., with about .3 of a mile remaining.  JP picked up the pace for his finishing kick as we turned onto Belmont Boulevard and for .1 of a mile, I stayed with him but just behind him.

JP looked over his shoulder, grinned at me, waved, then took off, leaving me behind for the last .2 of a mile.  I shook my head ruefully but proudly, as I watched him pick up speed and finish the run strongly.  I finished strongly, too, for me, anyway, averaging a flat 8:00 for four miles.  Not bad for a man turns 56 years of age in less than one month.

What I'll remember, though, is the youthful, innocent, and exuberant look on JP's face when he turned and grinned at me before sprinting to the end of the run.  It was a look of promise and it reminded me that as tough as life can be, at times, and though he's had to experience more of the tough side of life at a younger age that I would have preferred - losing my mom and Carley - he's resilient and has a strong faith in God.  

Those two things, resilience and faith, have sustained him - are sustaining him - as he finds his way through his teenage years.  That's my hope, anyway.  

Have a great trip, JP.  I'll miss you while you're gone.  My protege, as I like to say.  My running partner.  We'll hit the streets again when you return.



 

No comments: