Saturday, July 9, 2022

56

After staying up late last night binging season one of "For All Mankind" on Apple +, I woke up this morning and decided the gift I wanted to give myself was a run with JP, balky back and all.  I got dressed, stretched, then woke up JP to see if he wanted to go.  He did, of course, and within a few minutes we were out the front door.  

I focused on running with good form - straight up and not leaning forward - and, miracle of miracles, I had the best run I've had since we've been in Bradenton.  My low back let me know it was there but just a bit of an ache and overall, I felt good during a fast 4-mile run.

For me, there probably isn't a better birthday present than a 4-mile morning run with the Kid.  And, in truth, I saw it as God's gift to me more than my gift to myself, and I'm grateful for it.  




I'll remember that run, this morning, with JP, as one of the highlights of our vacation.  Of course, there are other highlights, too.

  • Putt Putt golf with the family.  I won, which is rare, as I'm not a very good Putt Putt golfer.  My hole in one on the 18th hold earned a free game.  



  • Coffee at Kahwa Coffee Roasters every morning.  Good coffee.  Great people.
  • Beach time with the boys, especially yesterday at Lido Key.  We were in the ocean for an hour and a half, at least, playing a game we made up.  I threw the Waboba ball to one of them while the other played defense.  Lots of the boys tackling each other, wrestling, etc.  In other words, brotherly fun.

  • An afternoon Hemingway daiquiri at the bar at 1592 in downtown Sarasota while Jude and the boys kayaked in a mangrove swamp.  My only regret?  I didn't have time for second one.

  • Adventure Island Water Park in Tampa.  One of the highlights of the trip for Joe.  Old school feel, kind of like the state fair with water rides.  


  • A lot of reading.  The New Yorker, the Paris Review, the Sun, and The Glass Hotel (Emily St. John Mandel).
  • Pool time at the Corley's.  A lot of pool time, especially after morning runs in the oppressive south Florida heat.

  • Dinner last night at Patrick's in downtown Sarasota after a full day of activities.
I bought Mike and Stacy a couple of bottles of wine and a few books, as gifts, to thank them for their generosity.  It's been nice to stay in a house, a real house, as opposed to a rental.  I needed, really needed, this getaway, because I've been so covered up at work and have had to deal with my staffing stages.  



I know I'll be swamped as soon as I get back, with work and staff, so having a chance to regroup and recharge was much needed.  

We fly out tomorrow and real life begins again.  It's been a good week.






No comments: