Friday, July 15, 2022

The Kid Joins the 100 Mile Club

At the beginning of the summer, JP got an e-mail his middle school cross country coach sent to the team challenging each member to join the 100-mile club.  The rules were pretty simple - run 100 miles in the summer, before cross country practice starts in early August, and you're in the club with a t-shirt to prove it.

JP being JP, it was game on, right from the start of the summer.

Most mornings this summer, in the oppressive heat, he has gotten up at 6 a.m. and gone for a run.  Sometimes three miles but usually four or five miles.  I've run with him occasionally but not too often.  It's his thing and I wanted him to do it on his own.  Plus, I know I need my running time to think, to meditate, to be, and I wanted him to have that time to himself, too.  Oh, and I was often still in bed when he left!

It's made me very proud to see him do his thing, on his own, with no prodding from Jude or me.  Many days, in fact, he would run early, then leave for work at the MBA sports camp or to a baseball or basketball camp he was attending in a particular week.  He could have slept in, as most 14 year old's do, but he didn't.  He woke up on his own and ran, getting his miles in before most people had started their day.  He stacked up the miles, always pointing toward 100.  

Yesterday morning, I woke up early, at 5:45 a.m.  I put my running gear on, stretched for 10 minutes or so, and waited for JP to come downstairs.  When he did, he stretched for, what, 10 seconds, and was ready to run.  Youth is indeed wasted on the young.  After a brief discussion, we decided to the Blakemore/Elmington Park route - 5 miles - and off we went.

As is usually the case, we settled into a comfortable pace pretty quickly and ran along together against traffic, sometimes on the sidewalk but usually in the bike lane or on the edge of the street.  JP always sets up on my left shoulder, a half step behind me.  We didn't talk much as we ran.  We rarely do, actually, mostly because we're focused and in the moment, running.  At least I am, though I think JP is, as well.

Lately, my stamina hasn't been there like it usually it and as we ran up Fairfax and neared the end of four miles, I thought about stopping and walking it in.  I didn't, though, because I wanted to run five miles with him and be there - or close - when he hit 100 for the summer.  So, I kept going, and I am glad I did.

With about a half mile left, he picked up the pace to race it in, and I smiled - a bit ruefully, I must admit - as I watched him pull away.  I don't have that finishing gear anymore and it's likely gone forever.  I kept him in sight the entire time as he ran up Belmont Boulevard and I kept running behind him, albeit at a slower pace.  He finished, waited for me, then I finished.  

We walked a couple of blocks to cool down, then jogged to Sweetbriar and ended at Portland Brew.  Coffee for me and hot chocolate for JP.  I congratulated him on his achievement - 100 miles - and we talked about how it felt to set a goal like that and reach it.  We talked about important things that running teaches you.  Discipline.  Determination.  Perseverance.  Patience.  The good stuff.  

There was a moment, probably half way through the run, when I reached over to JP and held my fist up.  I didn't say anything and he didn't either.  He fist bumped me, one runner to another, and we kept on running.  It was a small thing but it was everything.  I'll never forget that moment and I'll never forget that run, honestly.

As I've said before, it's a helluva thing when your 14 year old son inspires you, but that's what JP has done all summer long.  He's inspired me not to get discouraged by injuries, illness, or age, and to go out and run, like I always have done.  That's a gift for which there is no value.  

I'm proud of you, JP.  The 100 Mile Club. 




Keep going.

  

No comments: