Wednesday, October 5, 2022

October Surprise

Ah, October.  My favorite month of the year.  I'm thinking about that this morning, as I contentedly sip my coffee at Dose and listen to Gillean Welch playing quietly in the background, having just dropped JP off at MBA.  My new morning spot before work.

Yesterday after work, for the first time in what seems like forever, I ran from my office in downtown Franklin to Harlinsdale Farm, ran the trails, then ran back to the office.  Six miles.  It's one of my favorite routes and this time of year, it's a beautiful run though not an easy one.  

Because it has been a while since I'd run to Harlinsdale Farm, I was a little concerned that I might tire and not be able to finish.  However, the stamina issues I had this summer during some of my runs appear to have been heat related and in the past and I no problem finishing the run and at a nice pace, too.  Late afternoon and early evening, in the fall, is such a beautiful time to run, especially in downtown Franklin.

I love running immediately after work.  I look forward to it all day at the office.  It always feels a bit different, a bit new, because I don't get to do it all the time.  Honestly, I think for some reason that the endorphins from my run yesterday are still floating around in my bloodstream because I woke up this morning in such a good mood.  I feel a real sense of contentment, although that may be due in part to the fact that I have a completely clear calendar at work, which is extremely rare.

Fall, of course, is my favorite season, and October is my favorite month.  The mornings - like this morning - are cool.  Summer is over, at last.  Winter is around the corner.  Football season, college and pro.  the Major League Baseball playoffs are here.  Halloween, with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming soon.  Bourbon, outside, contemplating life.

And, for me, it's the best time of the year to run, hands down.  

No comments: