Friday, November 25, 2022

Thanksgiving on the Mountain (2022)

We're back, again, for Thanksgiving on the Mountain.  For the third consecutive year, we're staying in a house on Tennessee Avenue, on campus.  The boys chose for us to stay in the house again in part because we'r directly across the street from the Sewanee soccer field and a long walk (or a short drive) to the football and baseball fields.  The Fowler Center (basketball) is just around the corner, as well.

I'm glad to be here, of course, because being on the Mountain somehow rejuvenates me.  I love it up here.  

Jude and the boys arrived on Tuesday evening.  I had a mediation on Tuesday and needed to work on Wednesday, at least for a half day, so I drove up Wednesday evening.  Wednesday, the boys played soccer, nine holes of golf, and tennis.  Sewanee is like sports camp for them, so it's easy to see why they love staying on campus.  

I ran five miles on the Lake Dimmick trail yesterday.  It was beautiful to be outside plus there is always something special about running on a holiday.  The path was carpeted in leaves, so I was careful not to trip over tree roots.  I've been down that road, or trail, in a manner of speaking, when I broke my big left toe several years ago on a January trail run on the Cornelia Fort trial in Shelby Bottoms.  To this day, I can't grow a toe nail on that toe.  

There was a point in my run - about halfway through - when Lucinda Williams' song, Blessed, began playing and I thought, "how appropriate.  What a perfect song to capture my mood."  It was Thanksgiving morning, I was on a run, my family is well, and I felt strong.  In that moment, as so often happens when I run, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude to the Lord for my life.  I stopped and took a few photos, which is not something I normally do when I run.  I guess I wanted to try to capture that feeling in the very moment, although it's not something it's really possible to do.  

I guess that's part of what I love about this place.  So many of my runs, especially the trail runs, are damn near perfect.  In a given year, if I pinpointed my top ten runs, half of them probably would be runs I had on the Mountain.  In fact, a couple of my all-time favorite runs happened up here.  Certainly, I have had more memorable runs on the Mountain than anywhere else.

JP is itching to run with me today, which would be nice, because we haven't run together in a while.  With soccer practice every day and basketball or baseball workouts on weekends, combined with homework, it's been hard for him to find a time to run with me.  A little Cats in the Cradle?  I don't think so, not yet anyway.  

JP got the word on Wednesday that he made the basketball team at MBA on Tuesday evening.  We assumed he would make it but you never know, I guess, so we were grateful.  Unless I miss my guess, he will be playing on the "A team," but we'll learn more about that at the parents' meeting next week.  As was the case last year, I'm looking forward to seeing how much he can improve with a basketball in his hands almost every day.  

I've watched JP work out and scrimmage, at MBA, 5-on-5, a few times and he's way ahead of where he was last year.  He has a handle that I never had and he's been playing the point and distributing the ball.  Coach Amos knows he sees the court well and is a good passer, so I'm guessing he'll play point this season or, maybe, off guard.  He gets to the rim and has a nice 3-point shot, too.  Defensively, he's quicker and tougher than I ever was, no question.  He's a complete player at this point, so it will be interesting to watch the season unfold.  

I'm finishing my coffee at Stirling's Coffeehouse, on campus.  I'm so glad they're open this weekend because it's one of my favorite coffee shops anywhere.  Location, location, location.







No comments: