Friday, November 3, 2023

State!

It's the morning of the State Championship Cross Country Meet at Sanders Ferry Park in Hendersonville, TN.  I'm having coffee and a quick breakfast before I head over to the park for the race.

I dropped JP off at MBA to catch the bus a few minutes ago.  On the way to MBA, we talked about it being just another race.  3.1 miles (5k) he could run anywhere.  He just happened to be running it at Sanders Ferry.  I reminded him to run his race.  Then, I said what I say to him before every race.

All you got.  

I told him I loved him and I was proud of him.  And, just like that, JP got his bag from the backseat, and walked into the school to get his gear together.  Proud.  Eager.  Ready.

As I drove through the parking lot, I saw JP's coach, Roderick Russ.  Great teacher, great coach, great family man, great guy.  I think he is as excited as I am.  It's a special group of boys.  He reminded them of that last night, at the team dinner.  He told them that no matter what happens today, it won't change the bond they will have together for the rest of their lives.  

I couldn't agree more.  Win, lose or draw, what a cross country season for JP and his teammates.

My only hope, today, is for every one of them to run his best race.

State!


No comments: