Wednesday, November 8, 2023

These are the Days

There are times when I feel an urge to pinch myself as I marvel at my great good fortune to have the boys I have.  This is one of those times.

Jude and I are blessed, quite literally beyond measure, that God gave us JP and Joe.  Our lives have been enriched in countless ways, big and small, by our boys.  JP and Joe, combined, are our North Star.  The center of our universe.  With a tip of the cap to Mary Lou Lord, our compass is always set on our boys.

Yesterday morning as he was sitting down for breakfast, Joe looked at me and asked, earnestly, if I had any plans after work.  

"What do you have in mind?"  I responded.  

"I was wondering if we could go to the gym and get some shots up or maybe go to D-bats for a baseball workout?"  

"Absolutely," I said.  

Joe smiled, contentedly, happy with my response, and turned his attention to his breakfast.  I walked back into the bedroom to get dressed for work, also content, now that I had something to look forward to throughout my work day.  

Later, I left the office early amidst a light day and picked Joe up at school.  I had reserved one of the larger batting cages at D-bats.  Joe and I worked on hitting for an hour.  We made some adjustments to his swing.  He worked hard and it was a struggle at times but the put the work in, just like his brother did at the same age.  When Joe got frustrated after a couple of bad swings, I stopped, and quietly talked to him about the important of failing, and learning, while we're trying different things in the cage.  I told him the work is the reward.  He nodded and we got back to work.  

After Joe and I got home from D-bats last night, I walked upstairs to check on JP and see how his day at school had gone.  He was at his desk, grinding, doing homework.  He looked up and told me he had just gotten the e-mail confirming he made the freshman basketball team.  I was happy for him because he missed tryouts due to cross country practice in the week leading up to the state championship meet and had practiced a couple of day with the team at Coach Dodson's suggestion.  I'm not sure that basketball is I JP's long-term future but for this year, anyway, I thought it would be a good idea for him to take break from running an play a different sport.

Speaking of running, the MBA cross country team is traveling to Cary, NC, next weekend to run in the regional meet for the first time since 2010.  Leaving Friday midday and returning Sunday.  It's a big deal for the boys and the school for them to run in the regional meet.  

Because JP is JP, he has gotten up at 5:30 a.m. the last couple of mornings, before school, and gone for a run.  Five miles yesterday and six miles this morning.  All on his own with no prompting from me.  Why? Because he doesn't want to miss out on any training in advance of the regional meet and he has basketball practice in the afternoon, after school.  

Before I left to take JP to school this morning, I followed her into her closet in our bedroom.  Smiling and shaking my head bemusedly, I asked her if she ever thought about how rare it was to have a boy - a teenager - who works as JP does and is as driven to succeed, in everything, as JP is.  We shook our heads, laughing, and acknowledge our great good fortune.

I love that phrase.  Great good fortune.  

Two boys that want to work.  In school and in sports.  Two boys that are kindhearted, gentle souls who enrich our lives in every imaginable way.  


 

No comments: