Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Jude, John Patrick and I had a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend, although we were so busy, it passed by much too quickly. It was our first weekend to take him out in public, so to speak, and we were on the go the entire weekend.

Friday, as is evident from my previous post, John Patrick made his first trip to Franklin. He met some of the folks at my office and we strolled around downtown.

Saturday morning, I went for a 7-mile trail run at Shelby Bottoms with my friend, Mike Matteson. After we finished what was really a great run, we met Jude at the tennis courts near the entrance to Shelby Park. There we picked up John Patrick, so Jude could play tennis with her friend Allison. Although it was her first time back on the hardcourt since before giving birth, she played like a champ. Interestingly enough, though, Jude remarked that for the only time in her life she caught a glimpse of what Serena Williams feels like when she charges the net at Wimbledon. Jude had body parts . . . well, two body parts, in particular, bouncing everywhere, when she served and volleyed, if you get my drift. I only wish I had been there to see it!

Saturday evening, Jude, John Patrick, her parents, my mom and I ventured forth to Mafiozza's for dinner on the patio at the restaurant. It went reasonably well, although John Patrick got fussy toward the end of our visit. Jude's dad, Jim, and I strolled him down to Las Paletas on 12th Avenue, where we met the rest of our crew for Mexican popsicles just before closing time. As a group, we strolled across the street to Sevier Park and walked together, enjoying our popsicles in the twilight.

Sunday morning, Jude and I took John Patrick to church at St. Patrick's Catholic Church for the first time. Father Eric Fowlkes was not there, but we were blessed to hear one of my favorite priests, Father Sanchez, give the homily. John Patrick slept in his car seat throughout the entire church service, much to our relief. It was great to be back in church and, more importantly, to have him with us.

Sunday evening, Jude, John Patrick and I went to our friend, Geralyn Hoey's, house in East Nashville for a cookout. Although we didn't stay long, we did get to see a few of our ultimate frisbee friends, which was nice. For most of them, it was their first time to meet John Patrick.

Monday afternoon (Memorial Day), Jude, John Patrick and I went to my friend, Peter Klett's, house for his annual Memorial Day cookout and party. We introduced John Patrick to his new best friend, Cortland Christopher Klett. Since he slept or cried the entire time we were there, I'm not sure John Patrick really connected with Cortland. That will come with time, though, since Peter and I are such close friends and Cortland is only three weeks younger than John Patrick.

And on the evening of the fourth day of the Memorial Day Weekend, we rested.

No comments: