Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spin the Bottle


Last night, we learned that bottle feeding John Patrick is not going to be quite as easy as we had hoped.

In preparation for returning to work in a couple of weeks, Jude broke out the breast pump over the weekend, read the instructions and sterilized all the moving parts. Starting the first of the week, she began using the breast pump in between feedings, in an effort to start to accumulate a supply of breast milk. In the mornings and at night, before going to bed, she's been going down to the kitchen "to pump."

Now, I wasn't really sure what "pumping" entailed. Actually, I wasn't really sure I wanted to know what it entailed. You know, it's kind of like staring directly at the sun during a solar eclipse. You know you shouldn't do it because you might hurt your eyes, but you can't help yourself. That's the way I felt, Tuesday, when I walked into the kitchen and discovered Jude was "pumping."

Initially, I was speechless and I just stared. "Does it hurt?" I asked. "No," she replied. "Well, does it feel good," I asked. Looking at me like I was a complete idiot, she said, "no, it doesn't feel good. It makes me feel like a cow." I didn't really know what to say at that point. I just kept staring.

Well, she had worked so hard over the past several days to accumulate about four ounces of breast milk, it was important not to waste it when we tried to bottle feed him for the first time last night. The problem, of course, is once we heat the breast milk up, in the bottle, we can't use it again if John Patrick doesn't drink all of it. That's why mothers who are breast feeding say that breast milk they've pumped and stored in the refrigerator is as valuable as gold.

At first, John Patrick drank from the bottle without too much difficulty. However, after finishing an ounce of breast milk, he started fussing, crying, then refused to drink any more from the bottle. After a half hour or so of trying to coax him to start drinking from the bottle again, we gave up and went upstairs. There, Jude was able to breast feed him the traditional way, without a bottle. The disappointing thing, of course, was that we wasted three ounces of breast milk she had worked so hard to pump.

The best part of our night, though, was when we called our friends, Troy and Cyndi Baines, in Neptune Beach, Florida. They have three children, including their daughter, Finn, who is a month or two older than John Patrick. We put them on speaker phone and they commiserated with us first, then provided us with several helpful hints. Mostly, we laughed and joked with them, as we always do when the four of us get together, in person or over the telephone.

Every day is a new adventure and we wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: