Friday, June 20, 2008

Aunt Tracy




Tonight, my sister, Tracy Hearn, drove up from Franklin to spend some time with John Patrick, Jude and me. Well, mostly John Patrick. Tracy's husband, Gary, and her children, Kaitlyn and Matthew, were out of town, so tonight was the perfect time for her to slip up to our house to see her nephew.

Somehow, in spite of the fact I spent the better part of my formative years tormenting and teasing Tracy mercilessly, she grew into probably the kindest, most caring human being on the face of the earth. Also, she's an amazing mother to her two children.

One of my fondest memories of Jude's pregnancy is the night, last August, when my mother and I drove over to Tracy's church, to give her the news that Jude was pregnant. We interrupted Tracy's choir practice and when she walked into the hall to talk to us, she was scared to death to see us standing there. When I pulled out the ultrasound pictures and showed them to her, however, she smiled at me and immediately started crying.

This evening, Tracy and I were sitting in the den, watching television, when Jude came down the stairs with John Patrick. Tracy's eyes lit up as Jude handed John Patrick to her, a smile frozen on her face. It was an emotional moment for me to watch my sister holding my son. We spent a nice evening together, the four of us.

No comments: