Saturday, June 14, 2008

One Giant Leap for Newmankind . . .





When I went upstairs and got into bed with Jude last night a little after midnight, it was really, really strange not to have John Patrick in the room with us. I had checked on him, of course, and he was sleeping soundly in his crib in the nursery. Nonetheless, I nudged Jude, who was almost asleep, and asked her to hand me the handset for the video monitor. I pushed a button and bingo, just like magic, John Patrick appeared on the small screen in black and white, sleeping in his crib. It's a pretty cool upgrade, actually, from the old audio monitors.

Anyway, we slept with the handset between us in the bed, about waist level. Amazingly (and I'm not talking him up, for fear of jinxing our good fortune), he slept through the night for the fourth or fifth night in row. I didn't sleep through the night, though, as I kept waking up and wondering if he was okay. About 6 a.m., we heard him, on the video monitor, start stirring around in his crib. Jude went into the nursery about 6:30 a.m., talked to him for a few minutes, then fed him.

Apparently, our little guy is all grown up.

No comments: