Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's Quiet . . . Too Quiet

Man, it's quiet around the house tonight. Too quiet.

Yesterday, Jude and John Patrick flew down to Jacksonville, Florida, to visit our friends, Cyndi and Troy Baines and their children, Wolf, Scout and Finn. Jude had not been feeling well earlier in the week, so I was a little worried about the airplane trip, John Patrick's first.

Fortunately, the flight down on Southwest Airlines went smoothly. The airplane wasn't full, so Jude and John Patrick had a row of seats all to themselves. Just after takeoff, she laid him down in the seats to her left and he fell fast asleep. He slept almost the entire flight down. Shortly before they landed in Jacksonville, he woke up, but just lay there calmly, looking around.

For me, it was really weird, last night, for Jude and John Patrick to be gone. I had a quiet dinner at home and watched television. Later, after my friend, Hal Humphreys, called, I met him at Mirror on 12th Avenue for a glass of wine. Ed Hadley, his childhood friend, was at the bar with him. Ed is a lawyer whom I have known for several years, but rarely see. It was nice to get caught up with Ed and to hang out with Hal, as well. When I arrived home and got ready for bed, it was strange to be the only one in the house.

Today, I fought the heat at East Park, as my team played in the annual Nashville Bar Association softball tournament. We won both of our games, then hung out for a while after the games, chatting. It was miserably hot and humid. Tomorrow, we're back at it at noon, which will be lovely, since the weather is supposed to be hotter and more humid than today. Nice.

Although it's nice to have some quiet time, I'll be glad when Jude and John Patrick get back home tomorrow afternoon. I miss my family.

No comments: