Monday, July 28, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Summer

One of the constants in my life is music. Always has been, always will be.

I think I bought an 8-track tape player with money I made mowing grass, when I was 11 or 12 years old. Later, I bought a stereo and lots - I mean lots - of record albums. I was one of the first guys in my fraternity house to get a compact disc player. Over the years, I bought lots - and I mean lots - of compact discs. Of course, now I'm an Itunes junkie.

I'll listen to almost anything, from good, old fashioned rock and roll to latin jazz. I love what I call "roots rock" or "Americana" music. I'm always on the lookout for new artists or bands.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine with whom I play softball - Chris Vlahos - introduced me to a band I had heard of, but hadn't listened to - "My Morning Jacket," from Louisville, KY. He gave me a CD of theirs he had burned, "Z." I listened to it and was instantly hooked.

Next, I downloaded from Itunes "My Morning Jacket's" most recent CD, "Evil Urges," released in June 2008. Top to bottom, it's one of the best CDs I've heard in a long time. I've been wearing it out, listening to it whenever I'm on the road.

For me, when I listen to an old CD or hear an old song, it often reminds me of a particular time in my life. "My Morning Jacket" is the soundtrack of my summer in 2008, my first summer with my son.

Here's a link to a short video with clips of songs from the new album, "Evil Urges." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqP-LxXmyBU&feature=related

1 comment:

Raven said...

They are coming to Riverfront August 15th! And yes, THEY ARE AWESOME!!!