Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Calm After the Storm


It's late and I'm going to go upstairs in a minute, look in on John Patrick, then read in bed for a little while before I go to sleep. I'll write more later about the Leaf Party Weekend, hopefully tomorrow.

Troy, Cyndi and the kids (Wolf, Scout and Finn) left our house for the airport about 7 p.m. As always, there was a whirlwind of activity as they wound up their stay with us by packing their things and loading the rental car, before racing to the airoprt. Somehow, Scout lost her shoes. I took the annual photograph of the Baines family on our front porch steps, we hugged and said our goodbyes, then Jude, John Patrick and I walked up the front port steps and into the house. Jude held John Patrick and waved to Cyndi through one of our front windows and, suddenly, they were gone and our house was quiet again.

Jude fed John Patrick at the dining room table, in his high chair. I made a sandwich and sat down at the table with them. Jude and I talked about the weekend a bit, but mostly felt sad that it had passed by so quickly. Later, when she took him upstairs to get ready for bed, I cleaned up the last remnants of the party in our front yard. I felt a bit melancholy, as I pulled the John Deere wagon around back, loaded down with various toys, camping chairs and coolers. I smiled when I got around back and kicked the soccer ball that Wolf, Scout and I had been playing with a few hours earlier.

Jude and I are so blessed to have friends like Troy and Cyndi Baines. It's wonderful to have them as guests at our house, but it's so sad when they leave. It reminds us of how much we miss them and how much fun we would have with them, if they still lived in Nashville. We marvel at how much Wolf and Scout have grown. Time is fleeting and passes by so quickly. Really, in the blink of any eye, it seems, the years slip by.

No comments: