Sunday, February 22, 2009

(Almost) March Madness



Yesterday, Jude, John Patrick and I packed up and headed south to Franklin, where my niece, Kaitlyn Hearn, was playing at noon in the tournament championship game of her basketball league at Oak View Elementary School. Her team, Georgia Tech, was set to play Kansas State, who had actually beaten them twice during the regular season. It was a true family event, as my mother was there, along with my brother-in-law's parents, Ken and Ann Hearn.

Kaitlyn's team jumped out to an early lead, 6-2. In the second quarter, Kansas State tied them up at 6-6. The third quarter was nip and tuck, but Kaitlyn's team pulled away in the fourth quarter and won pretty easily. Kaitlyn, at point guard, played a good game. By my count, she scored 12 points. In the fourth quarter, she had several assists, as well. The girls celebrated like crazy when the game ended. Later in the afternoon, Jude and I remarked how special it was to see the unbridled joy on Kaitlyn's face, as she hugged her teammates after the game.

After the game was over, Jude, John Patrick and I stopped at a the Coffee Beanery in Franklin and had lunch. John Patrick ate a good lunch and seemed to enjoy hanging out with his parents. After we got home, he took a good nap. I think he was worn out.

Last night, Jude and I went out to dinner and to a play to celebrate our six year anniversary. Our nanny, Carley, babysat for John Patrick. We had dinner at our favorite restaurant, Margot's Cafe and Bistro in East Nashville. Afterwards, we saw "The Pajama Game" at TPAC, downtown.




No comments: