Monday, February 23, 2009

Sports Illustrated and Paul Zimmerman

As an avid sports fan, I've been reading Sports Illustrated since I was a kid. And I mean a really, really young kid. At one point, in junior high, I cut the covers off the Sports Illustrated issues that arrived at the house each week and taped them to my bedroom wall. Ultimately, I had at least one wall completely covered with Sports Illustrated covers.

Years (or decades) later, when Jude and I got married, she refused to allow me to bring into our new house my collection of Sports Illustrated magazines, which I had saved, religiously, for several years. There were stacks and stacks of them in a built-in bookcase I had in the office in my house. I filled up several garbage bags with the magazines, when I threw them out. I'm still not over their loss (and I'm only half kidding).

One of my favorite writers at Sports Illustrated is Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman, who has long covered the NFL. The last few years, he's written a regular column on SI.com during football season and around the time of the NFL draft. He's left the story writing and weekly reporting to younger writers. I was on-line tonight and stumbled across a long article he wrote years ago about Howie Long. Long, of course, is a hall of fame defensive lineman who played his entire career for the Oakland/L.A. Raiders. He's at least as well known, now, for being a talking head on Fox's NFL pre-game show for many years. The article was in the July 22, 1985, issue of Sports Illustrated.

Here's the link -

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119689/index.htm

Well written and classic Dr. Z.