Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snow in Shelby Bottoms

Once, mabye twice a year, I have the opportunity to run at Shelby Park in the snow.  Today was one of those days.  We had a little snow yesterday, with no real accumulation.  This morning, when I arrvied at Shelby Bottoms for my run, there was a half inch of snow on the ground and, better still, snow flurries.  The lake near the entrance to the park was frozen, which I don't think I've ever seen before.  I guess you'll get that when the temperature drops into single digits two or three nights in a row. 

As I locked up my truck and stretched underneath a deserted picnic shelter, the temperature hovered around 18 degrees.  I was warm, though, in my trusty Frank Shorter goretex windbreaker and tights, with vaseline on my face to cut the wind (an old runner's trick) and a cap on my head.  I think I've had the jacket for 15 years and it's not often that I get to wear it.  When I do, though, it never fails to keep me warm, with just a long sleeve worn shirt underneath it.


As I started my run, I noticed it wasn't a complete whiteout, although the trails were covered with snow.  The view of the Cumberland River was nice, with snow on both banks.  I saw three or four other runners on the bike path, but none on the Cornelia Fort Trail.  I enjoyed the solitude and was glad I'd left my ipod at home.  I finished my 6-mile run with the snow falling, then it was off to Bongo Java East for a cup of coffee to warm up.  What a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

No comments: