Sunday, May 30, 2010

Catch and Release

A while back, Jude and I decided it would be a good idea for J.P. to go to "Mother's Day Out," or some type of a daycare program, a day or two a week.  Our nannies, Carley and Jenese, have been fantastic, but we feel like he will benefit from being around other children his age, in surroundings that aren't as familiar as his home. 

We settled on a program at West End United Methodist Church, in large part on the recommendation of Jude's cousin Chad White and his wife, Misty.  Both of their children go to daycare there.  Obviously, it's reassuring to already know parents with children enrolled in the daycare program at West End.  It's near our house - about five or ten minutes away - which is nice, too.

Friday, Jude, J.P. and I attended an informal orientation for J.P. (Jude and I had visited previously).  Really, it was just an opportunity for him to familiarize himself with his classroom, meet the teachers and play with some toys for a half hour or so.  He seemed to enjoy himself and, in fact, Friday evening, he looked at Jude and said, "school please."  That tickled us to death, although he may change his tune this Friday, when we drop him off at 9 a.m., then leave for the day. 

As I was watching my Lakers polish off the Phoenix Suns in the Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals late last night, I lamented the fact that two short years ago, I watched the Lakers in the playoffs, late at night, with J.P. sleeping comfortably in my lap.  At the time, he was about two months old, and it was almost surreal to realize I had a son, at long last, to share with my love of basketball - to share with my love of all sports, really.  I remember thinking as I reclined in my "man chair" and J.P. lay on his back in my lap, fast asleep, I could die a happy man, right then.  It sounds trite or maybe a little contrived, but I swear, it seemed as if my whole life had led me to that exact point in time, where I could watch a game on television, my infant son sleeping in my lap and my wonderful wife, sleeping upstairs.

Fast forward to last night and as I watched the Lakers' game, I marveled that two years have passed so quickly.  Ready or not (and, in many ways, I'm not sure I'm ready), my son is going to go to daycare for the first time this Friday.  Just a step down the road for him (and me), I know, but it sure seems like a big step from where I sit.   

No comments: