Sunday, May 9, 2010

Runnin' Down a Dream

The reason I run is to have maybe five or, if I'm lucky, ten runs a year like I had tonight. 

After I got J.P. ready for bed and Jude put him down, I went for a run in the neighborhood.  I needed to run eight miles to get my mileage in for the week.  It was a perfect night for a run, with the temperature in the mid-50s.  Plus, I'm a night runner.  I've always enjoyed running at night and the last year or so, I've gotten back to running more at night, after we put J.P. to bed. 

Maybe it was because it was such a beautiful night.  Maybe it was because I decided to listen to music on my Ipod, as opposed to a podcast.  Or, maybe it was just one of those runs where everything came together.  Whatever it was, I felt strong, light on my feet, almost like I was floating, especially the last two or three miles.  A top ten run for me is when I feel like I could run forever, when I'm not ready for the run to end, when I don't want it to end.  That's what it was like tonight.

I ran down 12th Avenue to Lipscomb University, across campus, then back up Belmont Boulevard, across 21st Avenue, a couple of laps around the track at Belmont University, then back home.  The last mile or so, I ran hard and felt great.  Again, just damn near a perfect run. 

No comments: