Saturday, April 30, 2011

2011 Country Music Half Marathon Highlights

Random thoughts, in no particular order, about this morning's Country Music Half Marathon -

1. My morning got off to an inauspicious start, as the cab I'd reserved last night wasn't here at 6 a.m., as promised by the taxi company.  When I called to find out what was going on, I quickly realized there was little or no chance a cab would arrive in time to take me to West End Avenue, near the starting line, before the race started.  Somehow, the people at the taxi company hadn't realized there would be road closings, lots of people calling for cabs, etc.  Needless to say, I was pissed.  Near panic, I called my friend, Hal Humphreys, woke him up and he picked me up within minutes.  We took a circuitous route to avoid the road closings and he dropped me off in plenty of time for the race.  Crisis averted.

2. I love the new (old) course.  This year, partly due to the increasing number of participants (30,000 last year and this year), the race organizers altered the course and added a leg on 12th Avenue in 12South and another leg through the heart of the neighborhoods off Woodland Street in East Nashville.  It was pretty similar to the course the year the race returned to Nashville a decade ago, when I ran the marathon.

3. As I ran up 12th Avenue, my heart soared when I saw Jude, J.P. and Hal sitting in front of Rumor's Wine Bar at mile 7.  When J.P. saw me, he broke into a big grin and started waving at me.  I stopped, picked him up and gave him a kiss, hugged Jude, then got back to the race.  It was great.

4. The weather couldn't have been any nicer.  At 7 a.m., the race started under a brilliant blue sky with the temperature in the high 50s.  Perfect weather for a race.  Just before the race started, I turned and looked back down West End Avenue (I was in corral 2) and saw almost 30,000 people lined up behind me.  It was pretty cool. 

5. A police office - an older guy - stuck his hand out and gave me five as I passed the intersection of West End Avenue and 19th Street.

6. I ran in a pack that included "Supergirl" for a while - a woman in a blue skirt with stars on it and a red cape.  I also saw a few guys wearing viking helmets, running the marathon.  Weird. 

7. The last 2 miles were tough, as the usually are in a half marathon.  I was beat at that point and ready for the race to be over.  I kept checking and rechecking my watch to see how much further I had to go (always a sign I'm tiring).  I was very, very relieved when I started across the Woodland Street Bridge and approached LP Field.  I finished in 1:44:01, ahead of my target time of 1:50:00, so I was pleased.

8. After I finished the race, I walked up Woodland Street to my truck, which I'd left in a church parking lot the night before.  I opened my cooler and poured myself a beer that had been icing down all night long (obviously, not my first rodeo).  I may or may not have had a second, ice cold beer.

9. I drove up Main Street and parked near 5 Points in East Nashville.  I walked over to Woodland Street and, for about an hour, I cheered the marathoners on at the top of a long, gradual hill.  It's always emotional for me to watch marathoners running, probably because I've been where they are, mentally and emotionally.  There weren't a lot of spectators where I was standing, so the runners appreciated my encouragement.  It was cool.

Overall, a good race and another Country Music Half Marathon in the books.

No comments: