Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Do."

Recently, I was in the front yard, talking to Duane Pierce, a man who has worked in the yard for us the past couple of years.

Last year, among other things, Duane laid sod in our backyard and cleared out the flower garden in our front yard (which had gotten out of control).  This year, he got rid of the grass/weed mixture in our front yard and planted grass seed, the result of which should be front yard full of green grass in a few weeks.  Or so we hope.

Anyway, Duane and I were talking, and, as always, he was upbeat and in a good mood.  He told me he was having a productive week, getting a lot of things done.  Then, he told me something really interesting, something that has stayed with me since our conversation.  He said he was staying busy, following his New Year's Resolution, which was "do."

"What?" I said.

"Do," replied Duane.  "That was my New Year's Resolution.  Do.  Don't spend time talking about doing things or thinking about doing things.  Just do."  Continuing, he said, "I'm just keeping busy every day.  Do."

Smiling, I said, "wow."  I walked away, but the whole concept stayed with me.  Do.  I'm forever making several complicated New Year's Resolutions, usually firmly rooted in the idea of self-improvement.  By February, they're long forgotten.  But "do" - that's something I could work with pretty easily.

I think Duane's on to something.  It just makes sense.

Do.

No comments: