Thursday, March 9, 2017

It's Gotta Be the Shoes

Sunday morning, Joe walked into the kitchen and proudly showed me he was wearing a pair of new shoes - J.P.'s hand me down, lace-up "Kobe's."



My heart soared, dropped, then soared again.  As is so often the case, I had unexpectedly climbed into a time machine that transported me backwards in time four years or so.

As Joe stood there, grinning up at me, clear as day I could see J.P. and me sitting on the front porch of our old house on Elliott Avenue.  He was taking that very same pair of "Kobe's" out of the shoebox, holding them up and grinning proudly from ear to ear.  His first pair of basketball shoes!  I think I took as much pride in ordering them online as he did receiving them.



J.P. told Joe that after he put the "Kobe's" on of the first time, he and I had gone to shoot basketball.  I have no recollection of that but it makes for a good story.

The photo above is from Monday morning, when Joe was so excited about wearing his "Kobe's" to school that he wanted to stop by Bongo Java and show them to E.J., our friend who manages it.

God, I love that kid.

No comments: