Thursday, May 3, 2018

Keeping On Keeping On

It seems I've taken an unintended hiatus from posting to the blog.  The weekend the blood clot in my mom's left leg was discovered, and the aftermath, were exhausting.  I've been down, as well, because my low back problems have flared up again, as a result of which I've been unable to run.  That's always tough for me to handle because running is such an outlet for me, particularly in times of stress.


I started physical therapy last week and I've been doing my assigned exercised in earnest every morning.  It's apparent to me that I'm going to have to become more disciplined and regularly do low back and core strengthening exercises for the rest of my life.  Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll be dealing with significant low back pain forever and my quality of life will take a serious hit as a result. 


The good news is that physical therapy has helped.  Yesterday afternoon, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill at Go Performance, the gym I've belonged to for several years.  8:34, 8:20 and 8 minute miles without any difficulty.  Breathing was good, I still felt relatively fit and most importantly, there was no back pain.  I'll continue with physical therapy for a couple more weeks and, hopefully (fingers crossed) put the worst of the low back pain behind me (no pun intended). 


As is always this case this time of year, we're covered up with baseball practices and games and soccer practices and games.  I'm coaching three baseball teams - two Junior Dodgers' teams (4, 5 and 6 year olds) and one Dodgers' team (9-10).  Our friend and the boys' former nanny, Carley Meade, remarked last weekend after watching me coach Joe's Junior Dodgers in a game that she could see how much I enjoyed it.  And, I do.  The highlight of my week is coaching my boys and their teammates, at practices or games.  I love every bit of it. 


There's been quite a bit of rain in Nashville this spring, especially on weekends.  As a result, the game schedule is crazy.  JP plays tonight, Friday night and Saturday night.  Joe plays on Saturday and Sunday.  And they both play soccer on Saturday, too.  See?  It's crazy.  It's also a good diversion for me form every day life, I think.


Speaking of which, I've finished my morning coffee at Honest Coffee Roasters in the Factory in Franklin.  Time to get in to the office and get some work done. 

No comments: