Tuesday, November 17, 2020

I Am a Runner

A quick one while I sip a latte at Honest Coffee Roasters - in my usual seat at the table in the middle of the shop - before I head home for the evening.  

It's dark outside, cozy and warm here in the coffee shop, music playing quietly in the background as people wrap things up for the day.  

I left the office a little after 4 p.m. and went for a run.  Beyond beautiful for a fall evening in Franklin, as I ran the grass trail at Harlinsdale Park.  I ran the complete trail last week for the first time and I love it.  All grass, hilly in places, particularly on the back side, and a gorgeous run.  

Harlinsdale Park is a little bit difficult to get to, right now, due to the road construction project on Franklin Road.  It's all but eliminated the shoulder on both sides of the road, which makes it a bit dicey to run on Franklin Road in 4 - 5 p.m. traffic.  It's doable, though, if I'm careful, and the run is easily worth the effort.

I had another special run this evening.  6 + miles.  Fast and strong.  I had a moment, as I ran down the last grassy hill on the back side of the park, 4 miles or so into my run.  I felt so alive, so blessed to be able to run like  that at age 54.  I don't take it for granted, not for a minute.  Every run is a gift, for sure, at least the way I see it.

I've said it before, I think, but running is like meditation for me.  It clears my head, literally.  Often times, on a really good run like tonight's, my mind is empty and I think about . . . nothing.  

I breathe in.  I breath out.  I run.

Just like that.

"Why doesn't everybody do this?" I wondered, as I ran through Harlinsdale Park this evening, watching the sun set ahead of me.   

Running keeps me young or, at least, it keeps me feeling like I'm young.  I feel closer to my creator, to God, when I run.  I feel blessed.  Happy.  Blissful, even.

So fortunate.  So lucky to have found running or for it to have found me.  So many runs over the past 30 years or so.  Miles and miles.  Every single one a gift.

     


No comments: