Saturday, November 28, 2020

Up Here on the Mountain

I know I say it every time we're up here but, for me, there's just something special about being on the Mountain, especially when we're staying on Sewanee's campus.

Our day, today.

While Jude and the boys are finishing up breakfast - scrambled eggs, fruit, and assorted pastries I brought from Meridee's Bakery, two doors down from my office in Franklin - I left to go for a run.  I ran through campus and downtown Sewanee, such as it is, an on to the Trail of Tears greenway.  Out and back for a nice 6 mile run.  Straight from the house we're staying in on Tennessee Avenue.

Jude and the boys hiked Abbo's Alley and just as they finished, I met them at the Sewanee football field.  J.P. and Joe tackled the blocking dummies while Jude and I watched, laughing.  Then, we played two-on-two football, switching up teams with every play.  Family time on the football field.

Next, back to the house.  Jude and the boys played scrabble in front of the semi-roaring - ok, not roaring - gas fire in the fireplace.  I picked up a couple of Christmas gifts at the bookstore, then ate lunch at the house with Jude and the boys.

After lunch, Jude hiked to Bridal Veil Falls, while J.P., Joe, and I went to look around at the pro shop at the Sewanee golf course (where we bought a pullover to give Jude for Christmas that she saw there yesterday).  The boys and I drove over to the baseball field and threw, then took some infield.  While we were there, the Sewanee baseball coach ambled up.  He was happy to see someone using the filed and after tinning the boys a tip or two, he and I chatted for 15 - 20 minutes.  He invited us back anytime and asked me to e-mail him next time we were coming up, so he could show us the indoor baseball facilities.

The boys and I played Blitzball on the softball field for a few minutes, then drove home.  While Jude naps, they're doing "30 for 30" - 30 minutes of reading followed by 30 minutes of iPad time.

Later, we may play tennis, under the lights, on the Sewanee tennis courts, then have dinner at the Sewanee Inn.

There's always so much to do for us here, up on the Mountain.  It's barely more than an hour away from Nashville, but it seems like a world away.

This getaway was what we needed.  Really, I think it was what Jude needed, since she's been working from home since March.  When your home becomes your office, to get away you really need to get away.

No comments: