Friday, August 12, 2022

A Happy Ending to an Unhappy Story

I'm taking a breath this morning after a long but successful mediation yesterday, one that ended a little about 7:10 p.m.  I know the time because I had to rush out the door to pick up Joe from his first fall baseball practice, which I missed.  It was good, though, to see some of the boys, just for a minute or two, when I arrived at Warner Park.

Yesterday's divorce case was was one that needed to be settled, as was the one I helped the parties settle, late, on Monday evening.  2 - 2 this week on helping parties, and their attorneys, settle the divorce cases. 

I enjoy everything about mediating cases for others, which is a good thing, since at last count I had mediated close to 850 cases over the last 16 + years.  It's an important, time consuming part of my law practice.  I take a lot of satisfaction out of helping parties - characters in what has turned into an unhappy story - resolve their divorce (or post-divorce) case and move on with their lives.  

For them, it's almost instant relief if a case settled.  No more attorneys.  No more legal fees and that's no small thing because litigation is so expensive.  The cost of taking even a straightforward divorce case to trial is prohibitive for most people.  And that's one of the best things about helping parties settle a divorce case.  They no longer have to live under the constant threat of court hearings, depositions or, God forbid, a contested trial.  That's no small thing either.  

In yesterday's mediation, I was working with two attorneys with whom I have longstanding relationships.  They're as much friends as they are colleagues, although we don't socialize together.  We've known each other for years and had multiple cases against each other.  There's a trust and comfort level that makes it easier, I think, for me to mediate for their clients.  We also can argue points of law, professionally, without anyone taking it personally.  

In the best mediations - for me, anyway - I'm able to connect with the parties early on and gain their trust. We're able to laugh together, which eases their anxiety about the mediation process and, just maybe, adds a little levity when it's most needed.  That was the case yesterday, in my view.  

Helping nice people settle a difficult divorce case makes me happy.  I've added value to their lives.  I've helped them close a difficult, painful chapter in their lives, as well.  I've helped give them closure, which is so very important.  

I've helped write a happy ending to an unhappy story, relatively speaking.

No comments: