Wednesday, August 24, 2022

An Endodontist and a Divorce Lawyer Walk Into a Coffee Shop

It's a strange place out on the end of the pain spectrum.

I just completed the root canal procedure that I've been dreading.  Maybe it's the drugs slowly wearing off - nitrous oxide and novocaine - or the relief I'm feeling now that it's over, or both, but I almost feel a sense of euphoria as I sip a latte out of a straw at Honest Coffee Roasters.  

Somehow, someway, I overcame my visceral fear - dental anxiety, if you will - and survived a root canal today without being put completely under as I originally had planned.  It's a small thing for normal people, I know, but it's a huge thing for me because my fear of the dentist - of root canals and oral surgery - is very, very real to me.  

As I told Dr. Hicks and his staff today - all of whom were excellent, by the way - there is a lot in common between what he does, as an endodontist, and what I do, as a divorce lawyer.  Stay with me on this because it makes sense when you really think about it.  I promise.  

Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to have to go see an endodontist or a divorce lawyer.  However, if you find yourself in need of one, you want him or her to be very good.  Experienced.  Reassuring, with excellent bedside manner.  

The more time you spend with an endodontist - multiple visits and such - the more expensive it will be.  It's the same with divorce lawyers.  Complicated cases cost more money.  Period.  And, in most cases, there is no insurance so the patient - or the client, in my case - is paying out of pocket.  

Good, caring, and kind staff can make all the difference to patients, or clients.  Honestly, that starts with the receptionist, or scheduler, and continues with whomever assists the endodontist with the procedure.  It's exactly the same way in my office.  I've always said that a good receptionist can help me get clients and keep clients, as well.  My legal assistant and, especially, my paralegal, are so important to my practice in that they're interacting with my clients on a regular basis.  Comforting them.  Reassuring them.  

One of the scariest things - for me, anyway - about getting a root canal is my fear of the unknown.  I don't understand exactly what the endodontist is doing, how he's going to do it, what the risks of the procedure are, what my prognosis is, and how much it's going to hurt.  I just know there's drilling involved and everyone says it's scary and extraordinarily painful.

Divorce cases, and clients, are like that, too.  When a potential client initially comes to see me, often times they're frightened, uncertain, confused, and filled with anxiety.  They have heard so many horror stories about divorces, divorce lawyers, court, depositions, trials, etc.  And, of course, they never thought they would be talking to me.  

I've joked before, many times, to clients that giving a discovery deposition is like getting a root canal, but that's not right.  The entire divorce process is like getting a root canal.  And what I have to do - and what I have to teach my lawyers to do - is to realize that and to make sure we always treat our clients with the care and kindness that I needed today when I walked into Dr. Hicks' office.  I do that, for sure, and we do that, but it bears remembering why it's so important and, well, so necessary.

So, I'll go get a new crown on tooth no. 3 in a couple of weeks from my dentist, Haley Schmidt, DDS, whose bedside manner isn't quite what Dr. Hicks is, unfortunately.  I'll dread it but I'll get through it.  

And in the meantime, I'll redouble my efforts to be patient and understanding with all of my clients, and to do what I can to assuage their fear, concerns, and feelings anxiety.  

No comments: