Friday, June 16, 2023

Dimmick Lake

For the first time in, well, forever, I slept past 8 a.m. this morning.  More than eight hours of sleep is a rarity for me.  My down time - my reading time - is at night after the everyone goes to bed.  I don't have the discipline to force myself to go to bed at or before 11 p.m., as I probably should.  

For now, I'm sitting in Stirling's Coffee House, one of my favorite spots in the world.  I love watching the students, faculty members, locals, and visitors smiling and chatting as they wait in line to order or wait for the coffee or food.  It's Sewanee.  

I ran three miles on the Dimmick Lake trail this morning.  It's one of my favorite runs.  Though I didn't run all the way back to the lake, it was still a beautiful run through the woods on the Mountain.  As my back felt a little balky this morning and I'm on the back end of a lingering head cold, I only ran three miles (same as yesterday).

As summer arrives every year, I find myself doubting my fitness level and ability to continue running regularly.  The rational part of my brain realizes this is something that I go though every year as my body struggles to adapt to running in hotter, more humid conditions.  The adaptation part is what kicks my ass.  It gets harder and harder every year to go from running in cooler, more pleasant weather, to running in hotter weather.  This year, a head cold wore me out, too, so I feel like I'm starting over just a bit.  

I seem to notice more aches and pains in my body.  Less than a month from 57, my low back hurts in the morning.  My right knee hurts and my ankles are stiff in the morning.  The back pain is the most concerning, as I don't see it getting better as I age.  

Lately, I've taken to going on walks later at night, often after 10 p.m.  It's strange, I guess, to walk two or three miles on a night when I could go for a run.  It's just that I don't like to start a run after 9 p.m. for some reason but walking is different, somehow.  I guess. 

Assuming good health with my knees, hips, and back, I don't see myself stopping running anytime soon.  However, for the first time, I can envision a time when I'll walk every day.  Three or four miles. 

Doug and Mike are a couple hours away from the Mountain, coming from different directions.  Time to head back to the cabin, shower, and read for a bit.  

Damn, I'm glad to be here.

No comments: