Thursday, June 15, 2023

Return to the Mountain

Better late than never, I arrived at the Jennings' cabin in Clifftops late this afternoon.  Normally, I leave on Wednesday but this year, I couldn't get away until Thursday.  I had hope to leave early but I had to finish a few things for work before I left, so I camped out at Bongo Java - like the old days - for a couple of hours before JP helped me pack for the trip.

The important thing, of course, is that I made it back to the Mountain.  Monteagle Mountain.  Slowly, the stress of an incredibly busy few weeks at work is slipping away.  I'm sitting in the screened in porch listening to Radiohead - Pablo Honey - and album I've become obsessed with, thanks to Rohan Chitale.  I can't stop listening to it and, like all great albums, I find a different song every few days that I love.  

I knew about Radiohead but I'd never listened to them, which is weird because I'm such a fan of all types of music.  Pablo Honey was released in 1993, so it's been out in the world for 30 years!  Somehow, I never bumped into it until very recently.  I overheard Rohan talking about Radiohead at one of Joe's baseball games earlier this spring and I joined the conversation.  One thing led to another and he sent me a Radiohead playlist on Spotify.  The rest is history.

It reminds of the time, years ago, when Chris Vlahos introduced me to My Morning Jacket after a law league softball game.  After listening to Evil Urges (2008), which I think had been released that summer, was hooked.  I worked my way through the older MMJ albums and fell in love with the first one, The Tennessee Fire (1999).  I bet I've listened to it 200 times.  

Music, of course, is what brings me to the Mountain again.  Bonnaroo.  I think it's this is the eighth consecutive year I've been to Bonnaroo, not including the consecutive years it was canceled, 2020 (Covid-19) and 2021 (flooding).  As much as I enjoy listening to music at Bonnaroo, though, it's become as much about getting away for a few days and spending time with my friends.

This weekend, Doug Brown and Mike Matteson are joining me.  They will arrive tomorrow, midday, Doug from Atlanta and Mike from Franklin.  This year, no Hughey, Seve, or Bonnaroo Bill.  I'm not sure the original crew will make it to Bonnaroo again.  Hughey travels every summer with his family and Bonnaroo Bill, the oldest in our group, sold his architecture business and retired.  Chances are, he is hanging out with his wife in their Airstream somewhere far from her, remembering the days when he used to go to Bonnaroo.  

Paul and Lisa are so generous to give us their cabin every year.  It's the perfect place for me to unwind.  In Clifftops, on the Mountain.  j

Home.

No comments: