Sunday, June 18, 2023

The Wind Down

I ran three miles this morning from the cabin and straightened up while Doug and Mike packed their gear. I treated them to breakfast at the Blue Chair, a favorite of my boys whenever we're on the Mountain.  As we were eating, I ran into Pete Ezell, who was in town for the Sewanee Alumni golf tournament Friday and Saturday.  Pete just turned 74 years old, looks my age, and still plays in the NBA softball league for Baker Donelson.  Amazing.

Last night, Doug cooked steaks on the grill and sautéed asparagus as a side item.  Excellent dinner.  We had a nice bottle of red wine me brought from Atlanta.  Dinner at the cabin was nice ending to a day that began with a three mile run for me, followed by a hike of five miles or so, with Doug and Mike, to Lake Dimmick.  

The Lake Dimmick trail is a good one.  Gravel, double track dirt on an old fire road, then single track to the lake.  Not too hilly but a nice hike nonetheless.  Time slowed down as we walked through the woods and talked to each other, reconnecting.  I think that was my favorite part of the trip.  

Truth be told, we didn't go to Bonnaroo yesterday at all and I might not go on my way out of town today, although that's still a game time decision.  When we went Friday night, we only knew a band or two, and we stayed out of the fray for the most part, listening to music from afar as we sat and people watched.  To me, the crowd seemed younger than in past years but it may be that I'm just getting older.  

What I'm not sure about, though, is whether the artist lineup - unknowns to me for the most part - trended young this year or whether I've aged out of Bonnaroo.  For the first time in almost a decade, I didn't feel the urge this year to be at the Farm, in the crowd, listening to music.  I was more interested in spending time with Doug and Mike, or alone before they arrived, at the cabin or on campus, not with 75,000 of my closest friends.  

This year, coming to the Mountain, I just felt - and feel - so tired.  Mentally and emotionally exhausted.  I give so much of myself to my clients and their cases - their lives, really - that it wears me down sometimes.  On top of that, I feel like I'm constantly thinking about the office - staffing, processes, training, mentoring - it's a lot.  I'm not complaining, exactly.  It's just that all of it wears me down sometimes, so I go for a run or better yet, head to the Mountain.  

For now, I'll finish my coffee and drive back to the cabin.  I think I'll read for a while, then pack up and head back to Nashville.  I could stay another night but I've got meetings in the morning with prospective clients.  After a brief respite, it's time to put my shoulder to the wheel again.  If I time it right, though, I'll get to Donelson in time to watch Joe's all-star team, the Braves, play at 4 p.m.

Another Bonnaroo weekend in the books.  

No comments: