Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Fourth of July in San Diego

It's the Fourth of July, our nation's birthday, and I find myself in San Diego, CA, for our summer vacation. As much as we love to spend a week in Santa Rosa Beach, FL, Jude and I decided to be a little more adventurous this summer and I'm sure glad we did.

We arrived on Sunday morning and drove from the airport to Encinitas Beach on the recommendation of the young man who walked me to our rental car at Enterprise.  Always ask a local where to go.  After a drive of 30 minutes or so, we parked and had a wonderful brunch, outside, at a restaurant on the main drag parallel to the beach.  Jude and I had excellent Bloody Mary's and after we ate, we walked up and down the street, window shopping.  I graved a coffee from Ironsmith's, which I drank as we explored the Encinitas Beach.  

There's something different - weirder in a good way - between the beach towns on the Pacific Ocean in California and the breach towns off 30A on the Gulf Coast.  The California beach towns are more established and, well, authentic.  The beach towns off 30A are filled with the nouveau riche and other than Santa Rosa Beach, have little real character.  Prettier beaches, I guess, but the ocean is better hear and the towns are considerably more interesting.  Maybe it's the surfing vibe, which you don't see on the Gulf Coast.

Yesterday, JP, Joe and I went for an early morning run.  Joe ran the first mile with us, then we dropped him off at the house.  I ran two more miles with JP, then he ran a fourth mile by himself, finishing at Better Buzz Coffee.  JP and I had coffee, hung out for a few minutes, then walked home for breakfast.  

Later, we drove to Torrey Pines.  Beautiful golf course.  After visiting the pro shop, we had a wonderful lunch outside with a view of the first hole.  The setting was exquisite even for non-golfer like me.  JP had the itch, I could tell.  Hopefully, someday, he can return to Torrey Pines and play a round of golf.  We hiked on a trail after lunch and had gorgeous views of the front nine of the golf course, then of the Pacific Ocean. 



 





After we short detour through Del Mar, CA - shout out to my mom's best friend, Judee Potter, who died last April - we arrived home and relaxed for a bit.  Then, we played Hearts outside at a table in the small, walled in back yard.  An oasis in the middle of the neighborhood.  We ordered takeout sushi, ate dinner at the same table in the back yard, then went to bed early.  





A perfect day, as Jude remarked last night.  

No comments: