Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Joe Softball

Joe loves to come to my law league softball games.  He keeps the score book for us, handles the coin toss, throws with me and, occasionally, gets in on the action.  

Last night, because we had a numbers issue at the beginning of our game against the remnants of Waller (recently acquired by a firm out of Florida), Joe played right field in the first inning.  He allowed a slicing single to bounce past him on the only ball hit his way but here was no damage done, other than to his pride.  Our tenth player arrived as we prepared to bat in the bottom of the first inning, so Joe was relegated to score keeping.  

After giving up four runs in the top of the first inning, our bats came alive while Waller's fell silent and we gonged them in time to get to watch the last few innings of the MLB All-Star game (a rare National League win, 3-2).  Joe batted for Big John Wilks late and grounded out to third base.  He was disappointed he didn't get on base but he was happy to get an at bat.

I played well last night, which was nice.  I've been hot at the plate the last few games, as I've found my swing after reminding myself to wait on the ball and not be anxious at the plate.  Let it travel, I keep reminding myself.  When I'm locked in, I hit the ball right up the middle, every time, which is what I did last night.  I was 2-2 and drove in a pair of runs with a 2 out single late in the game.  When I'm really on a heater, I can place the ball to right field, as well.  I think that's coming.

After the first inning, I kept Waller's batters off balance for the most part bolstered by several nice defensive plays behind me.  I caught a hard grounder hit to my left by one of Waller's better hitters to end their second to last at bat.  As I've aged, my range fielding balls in or around me is more limited, so it's nice to make a play every once in a while.

I turned 57 last week, which is hard to believe in some ways.  I take pride in being able to pitch, and pitch well, in the law league.  30 + years playing softball with my fellow lawyers and counting.  I enjoy the league so much every summer because it gives me a chance to spend time with old friends on my team and other teams and to meet new lawyers and make new friends, as well.

What I really enjoy, though, is the time I get to spend with Joe at softball games.  He's at the perfect age to go to the games and watch me play.  There is still a childlike innocence about him, which is precious and beautiful.  I'm still infallible and all powerful to him, as his father, so it's great for him to see me do something well, even if it's just playing softball.  

To Joe, it's more than that, really.  It's a chance for him to see me interact with my friends.  He knows that I play a large role - along with my guy, Quint - in putting the softball team together and encouraging our team members to hang out for a bit after the games.  He sees me interacting with my teammates, on and off the field.  He sees me in my element, as an athlete and a leader, and that's important.

On the ride home, Joe and I listened to Radiohead's album, Pablo Honey, which has been the soundtrack  to our spring and summer (thanks to Rohan Chitale).  As time passes, and Joe grows up, I'll always think of him and baseball season of his 11th year, when I hear songs off Pablo Honey (Creep, Stop Whispering, I Can't, etc.).  

Last night, as we were driving home and listening to Radiohead, I furtively glanced over at him riding shotgun beside me.  He was singing along to the music and playing air drum and air guitar, too.  He looked so innocent and content . . . so happy . . . that it almost brought tears to my eyes.  Age 11 is maybe the perfect age for a Joe, especially the summer of his 11th year.  Everything and anything is possible.  

It's a beautiful thing.  





No comments: