Monday, July 10, 2023

The Kid 2.0

Early Friday morning, JP, Joe, and I drove to the beach in Santa Monica for a run.  Initially, Joe was going to run one mile with me in the neighborhood before I went to the beach to run with JP.  I encouraged Joe to come to the beach with us and to run longer and he agreed, albeit haltingly.  

After we parked the car and walked over to the strand - the paved bike and running paths along the beach - JP ran the first mile with Joe and me, before picking up the pace going on a run of his own.  Joe and I ran to the Santa Monica Pier, and past it, then turned around at the 1.5 mile mark and ran back to the parking lot.  

As we began the third and final mile, Joe unconsciously began to push the pace.  I smiled and ran alongside him, my heart filled with pride.  For a runner like me, what could be better than a morning run with my 11 year old on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other side?  

Joe began to tire so I suggested we back off the pace a bit.  I encouraged him to push himself on the home stretch, as we finished, and he did.  Joe finished strong, which is what I want him to do, running and in life.  There are so many lessons to learn from running and it make me happy to see him start to learn them.

As we walked along the strand together to cool down, we talked quietly.  I congratulated Joe on being the proud owner of his first ever three mile run.  He grinned in response.  

I reminded him to never doubt himself or underestimate what he was capable of achieving.  

I reminded Joe that God has given him an amazing gift, a healthy and strong body.  I also told him that it's his responsibility to take care of the gift, to develop it, and to make is stronger and to keep it healthy.  I talked about the importance of using the talents God has given him.

Really, for me, those are perhaps the best moments of running with my boys.  The conversations during or after our runs together, when we talk about the good stuff.  The stuff that really matters.





No comments: