Monday, May 18, 2009

A Memorable Night

Perhaps because he wasn't on his normal schedule, John Patrick just didn't nap or sleep well while we were visiting the Baines' family in Neptune Beach, Fl. In particular, Saturday night was really tough, as Jude and I had a tough time getting him to go to sleep in the Pack 'n' Play in the bedroom of the guest house. Every time we laid him down, he would start crying. When we left the room, he would cry louder and louder, until we'd finally go back into the bedroom and pick him up to calm him. Finally, he fell asleep.

About 3 a.m., though, John Patrick awoke and immediately started crying. We tried to ignore him, but he stood in the Pack 'n' Play, holding on to the top of it, and just kept screaming and crying. Jude picked him up, held him, then laid him back down and he immediately started crying again. I lifted him out, held him, but he started crying as soon as I laid him back down in the Pack 'n' Play. After a half hour or so, I brought him to bed and Jude went in the other room to get some sleep on the couch.

As I laid down in the bed, John Patrick fell asleep on my chest. For the next two or three hours, he slept contentedly and I dozed off and on. It was a night I'll always remember, I think. As I was telling Jude tonight, I felt so close to my son as he slept on my chest, with my hands clasped around him, my chin resting on his head.

Another really cool thing was that around 7 a.m., John Patrick started stirring and I was able to watch him wake up, ever so slowly. He rolled around a bit, still with his eyes closed, then started cooing a little bit. After a few minutes, he quietly murmured, "da da," and my heart melted. It was a special moment.

No comments: