Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


I'm watching my Lakers struggle against the Nuggets in game 4 of the Western Conference finals. The Lakers are up in the series, 2-1, but it looks like it's going to go back to Los Angeles 2-2, after the Nuggets win tonight. It's funny but just a year ago, I sat in my "man chair" in the den, watching the Lakers in the playoffs, as John Patrick slept in my lap, his head on my knees.

Saturday evening, we had a cookout at our house. Jude's mom and dad came, along with her grandmother and her aunt, Margaret. My mom came up, as well, with my sister, Tracy. The weather was pleasant, so we sat outside while the burgers and bratwursts were grilling. John Patrick entertained us all, crawling around the deck, walking a few steps to me in the backyard and making funny faces at everyone. He was in rare form.

Yesterday, we attended the 8:30 a.m. church service at Christ the King on Belmont Boulevard. Later, we went to Jude's grandmother's house for brunch. I got a run in about 5 p.m. It was wicked hot and very humid. When I finished, I put cages around my tomato plants, which are already growing with all the rain we've had the past couple of weeks. After we put John Patrick to bed, Jude smoked me in Scrabble. Payback, I guess, for Friday night, when I beat her.

No comments: