Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Little Things

Tonight, after dinner, Jude and I were upstairs playing with J.P. in "the nook," an area just inside the small porch overlooking our front yard.  He has a small bookcase there, along with lots of toys, stuffed animals, etc.

Using a tiny screwdriver - the kind you might use to tighten the screws in a pair of eyeglasses - I was able to take apart a musical "Thomas the Train" caboose and replace the batteries in it.  The caboose hadn't played music in a long time, because the batteries had been dead and we hadn't been able to figure out how to change them.  It's always been one of J.P.'s favorite toys and I have vivid memories of strolling down to Bongo Java with him clutching the caboose in his small hands, pusing the button on top of it and playing the same snippet of song over and over again.  It's one of my favorite toys of his, too.

Anyway, after a bit of a struggle, I successfully changed the batteries and put the caboose back together.  When I handed it to J.P., he pushed the button on top and much to his delight, the music immediately started playing.  He grinned at me and repeated, several times, something along the lines of "Dada fix caboose."  I felt like the smartest father in the world. 

I only hope it's always that easy to fix things for my son.   

No comments: