Friday, December 3, 2010

Trimming the Tree

I love this time of year.  October 1 - January 2 is my favorite time of the year.  Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  All great holidays, especially Christmas.  It's even better this year, because at 2 1/2 years old, J.P. is at an age where he is starting to understand Christmas and everything that comes with it.

We bought a Christmas last weekend and put it up on Sunday night.  After Jude put the lights on the tree and turned them on, he stood staring at the tree, transfixed.  "It's beautiful," he said.  

A couple of nights ago, I brought the box of Christmas ornaments up from the basement.  He opened the box and his face just lit up when he looked inside and saw the many and varied ornaments Jude and I have collected over the years.  "Wow!" was all he could say.  He reached in the box and pulled out ornaments one by one, handed them to Jude or me, and watched as we put hung them on the tree.  With each ornament he lifted out of the box, he said, "wow, Mom, look at this one!"  It was awesome.

Jude and I always have enjoyed decorating the Christmas tree but I swear, our enjoyment grew exponentially this year, as we shared the experience with J.P.  His wide eyed innocence and wonder will melt your heart.

Oh, and he wants Santa Claus to bring him a hockey stick.  

No comments: