Friday, December 24, 2010

White Christmas!

It's just past midnight on Christmas morning and I as I look out our front windows, I can see the snow falling.  Big, wet and beautiful snowflakes.  On Christmas, no less!  There's almost an inch on the ground now and it's absolutely gorgeous outside.  The temperature is hovering around 31 or 32 degrees, so the streets are still clear, just a little wet.  It's a special night, because it never, ever snows on Christmas in Nashville.

I'm smiling as I look over at the "Thomas the Train" table I assembled earlier tonight, after Jude put J.P. to bed.  On top of the table, there are some trains (Thomas' friends), Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels cars.  In front of the table is the one thing J.P. has been adamant about wanting Santa Claus to bring him - a hockey stick.  He's going to be tickled to death, I think, tomorrow morning when he sees what Santa Claus left for him.

The whole Christmas season has been fantastic for Jude and me, mostly because we've been able to experience it through J.P.'s eyes.  Everything about Christmas is so new, pure and innocent to him, it's like we're seeing things for the first time, too.  It's amazing.

(As an aside, I'm listening to a 70's radio station on iTunes and "Let Her In" is playing, by John Travolta.  John Travolta!  God, I had forgotten he had even made a record.  I remember the song, though, now that I'm hearing it.  Crazy.).

Before she went up to bed, Jude and I were surveying our den - the Christmas tree, decorated and surrounded by presents, J.P.'s gifts from Santa Claus and our stockings.  We're so lucky and blessed, we agreed, to be able to buy gifts for our son and to be able to see that he doesn't want for anything.  It's not like that for everyone and we realize that.  Life is good.

No comments: