Thursday, December 1, 2022

A Night Out with Joe

Tuesday night, I rushed from work to MBA for parents' meeting for JP's middle school basketball team.  As we finished up and I was walking to my truck, I called home to see if I could pick up dinner.  I was looking forward to unwinding at home for a bit, then preparing for a mediation I had the following day.

Fate intervened, however, as Jude pointed out that Joe had noticed we had two tickets - through our longstanding hockey group - to the Predators vs. Ducks game that night.  The game was scheduled to start in 45 minutes, so we had to make a decision, quickly, if we were going to go.

When I got home, Jude told me Joe really wanted to go.  She has been under the weather, so I agreed to take him, albeit a bit grudgingly.  I was tired after a long day at work and I had more work to do, at home, which would need to be done at 10 p.m. or so, after the game.

No grumbling, though, because this is what we do as parents.  That's what I reminded myself of, anyway.  Also, Joe was really excited and it's not every day that I get a night out, alone, with him.

Because we live so close to downtown, we left at 6:45 p.m. and were parked and in Bridgestone in time for the puck drop to start the game.  We had a great time, of course, and saw the Predators' win an exciting game in overtime when the captain, Roman Josi, scored right in front of us (our seats are good ones), off a nifty pass from Matt Duchene.

In the end, really, it was a normal night out to the Predators' game with Joe.  We had so much fun together.  A little thing but everything, at least to me.  As JP grows older - he's off on a bus to see MBA vs. Baylor in Chattanooga for the state football championship tonight - I realize these times with the boys are fleeting.  Hell, everything is fleeting.  

So, I savored my night out at the Predators' game with Joe and got ready for my mediation after we got home from the game and I got Joe into bed.  I thought about how lucky we are to have the boys we have.  JP and Joe are the best.

Fatherhood.  

No comments: