Thursday, December 15, 2022

Turn, Turn, Turn

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose under Heaven.

Pete Seeger

Sometimes, like just now as I stood in a line at Dose, waiting to order my morning coffee and scrambled eggs, I'll see a mom and dad with a son in a stroller.  If it's a day or a moment that I'm not lost in thought or distracted, worrying about work, I find myself overwhelmed with emotions as if by magic, I travel backwards in time and see myself standing in line with JP or Joe comfortably ensconced in my stroller.  

It happens so quickly and unexpectedly that it's like touching an emotional live wire and receiving a quick but strong electric shock.  This morning, it staggered me for a moment and I felt tears welling in my eyes as I gazed down at an infant boy in a stroller, as his parents stood above him, talking quietly.  As he looked up at them - the picture of contentment - the boy's father smiled at him and reached down to adjust his stocking cap.  

I'm not sure how or why but I could sense that he was their first child.

For an instant, I could see JP in that stroller, looking up at me, as we stood in line at Bongo Java, 13 or 14 years ago.  The memory was so real and so powerful.  

As I often do when I have an experience like this, I leaned over and touched the father lightly on his shoulder and smiled.  

"I just dropped off my oldest son at school for last exam of the semester," I said.  "He's in 8th grade.  Trust me, they go from that age - I pointed down at his son - to 8th grade so fast.  Enjoy every minute."

The man and his wife smiled at me, friendly and grateful I had taken the time to speak with them.  "Thank you," the boy's father said.  "We do and we will.  Enjoy every minute."  

I turned away so they wouldn't see the tears in my eyes.  

Today, JP is taking his last exam of the semester, Latin, a class he enjoys that is taught by a teacher he loves, Ms. Ellery.  Joe is back in circulation after missing two and half days of school with a virus or bug of some sort.  He was smiling and happy today, anxious to get back to school for the Christmas party.  

I miss the stroller days terribly at times.  There's no denying that fact.  Those days came and went like an Indian summer, gone all too soon.  

Still, Jude and are blessed beyond belief to have the boys we have at the ages they are now, 14 and 10.  Healthy, happy, smart, funny, filled with kindness and goodness.  God has been so good to us and I'm so very grateful.






 


No comments: