Saturday, December 10, 2022

Turning the Corner on Covid-19

Yesterday, for the first time in a week, I finally started to feel a little bit like myself.  My voice is back.  I was less tired.  I was less congested, although I've got a dry cough that I suspect will be with my for a while, courtesy of Covid-19:  The Sequel.

According to CDC Guidelines, I no longer need to isolate (5 days of isolation after the onset of symptoms).  I was back in circulation yesterday afternoon.  I got my haircut while wearing a mask, of course.  Then, I stopped by the office for the first time all week.  It was good to see everyone and to sit in captain's chair again, even if it was only for a few minutes. 

My gratitude at feeling better is palpable.  That's the thing about being sick - for me, anyway - it makes me appreciate even more being well.  I can't wait to run again. 

After work, at my urging, Chas, Lee, Andrea and I sat up front and had a bourbon together.  I turned the lights off and we basked in the glow of the lights from our Christmas tree and talked while we watched people walk buy us outside, headed to Puckett's for dinner or to Main Street for the beginning of the Dickens of a Christmas Festival.  I feel this way a lot,  honestly, but sometimes it's nice to have an office in downtown Franklin.

As we sat together, I was struck by the fact that I'm very lucky to work with and, especially, to have the law partners I have.  It was special to spend a few stolen moments with Chas, because he and his family have had such a tough go of it the past few months.  His wife has been ill and his mom just got released from the hospital, too.  I don't know how he works, raises two kids, and cares for his wife and mom.  He's got broad shoulders, literally and figuratively, but still, he has so much on him right now.  

While I don't think I'm contagious, I want to be careful not to get JP sick, since he is in the middle of exams.  He took his history exam yesterday and though it went well.  He has exams all next week and, just like that, the first semester of 8th grade is over.  

Joe's looking forward to finishing the first semester, as well, but his days are a little easier than JP's at the moment.  Yesterday, the big news was that Joe's team won in football at recess, 37 - 35, when Joe sacked the opposing team's quarterback - his friend, Bennett, for a late safety.  Big day.  

Joe plays quarterback and when I get home each day, I'm always anxious to hear about that day's game.  How many touchdowns did he throw?  How many picks?  Any disputed calls?  That kind of thing.

The life of a 4th grader is so innocent and carefree.  It's almost painfully beautiful, like a cold winter morning.  Blue sky, sunshine, and watching the cloud your breath makes as you walk to the car to go to work.  What a great time in Joe's life and what a great time in mine to watch it unfold.  

Today?  Another busy Saturday.  Jude is taking JP and a couple of friends to a noon Predators' game. 

Joe and I have quite the day planned.  All basketball, if we can pull it off.  Joe plays in a doubleheader at St. Paul's at 11 a.m. and noon, then we're going to go to MBA and watch the Big Red play McCallie at 1:30 p.m.  Afterwards, Joe plays his third basketball game of the day, at MBA.  Then, we'll rush to Belmont U. to catch the second half of Belmont's basketball game.  

Our boys keep us busy on weekends, an young, too, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: